Stuffed Sausage and Courgette Boats with Cheese
Food is invariably improved with cheese! It’s an concept deeply ingrained in the psyche of the great British public – and a perfect compliment to the sausage, courgette and onion filling for these delicious courgette boats. Cooked in a warm oven with a delicious tomato sauce, this is a warm and filling tea and a very easy bake!
Ingredients – this recipe serves 6 – you will need
- 6 courgettes (or 3 courgettes and 3 aubergines for a different spin)
- 1 tbsp of olive oil
- 1 small onion diced
- 1 clove of garlic minced
- 6 – 8 gluten free sausages, all natural sausages, casings removed
- 2 tbspn chopped Basil
- 1 block of mozzarella cheese
- 3 cups of very low sugar tomato sauce
- Parmesan cheese for grating on top
- Pre-heat the oven to 180
- Cut the vegetables length ways (this works for both courgettes and aubergines). Scoop out some of the flesh (use an ice cream scoop) to form a boat and reserve.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan over a medium heat. Cook the onion until soft and starting to turn light golden. Add the reserve courgette or aubergine flesh and continue to cook until soft and all the liquid has evaporated.
- Stir in the garlic, sausage meat and basil. Mix well.
- Stir in the mozzarella
- Pour your favourite low sugar tomato sauce into a large oven-proof casserole dish.
- Place the meat mixture into the hollowed – out courgettes (or aubergines if using)
- Place in the casserole dish on top of the tomato sauce.
- Sprinkle generously with Parmesan cheese
- Cover loosely with foil. Place int eh oven and cook for 30 minutes
- Remove foil and bake a further 30 – 40 minutes until vegetables are tender
- Serve warm and enjoy!
We used Primal Cut’s all natural gluten free sausages for this bake, opting for “The Sicilian” sausage which was a great healthy choice!